- Our new beginning, our re-foundation, calls out immediately for…a defense of leisure.
- The original meaning of “leisure” has practically been forgotten in today’s leisure-less culture of “total work”.
- The name for the institutions of education and learning (scola, schule, school) mean “leisure”.
- Thomas Aquinas: “The goal and the norm of discipline is happiness”.
- Leisure it is not necessary present in all the external things like “breaks”, “time off”, “weekend” and so on. Leisure is a condition of the soul.
- Leisure is the disposition of receptive understanding, of contemplative beholding, and immersion – in the real.
- Leisure is not the attitude of the one who intervenes but of the one who opens himself.
- Leisure stands in a perpendicular position with respect to the working process.
- Leisure is not there for the sake of work.
- Nobody who wants leisure merely for the sake of “refreshment” will experience its authentic fruit.
- The ability to be “at leisure” is one of the basic powers of the human soul.
- Will it be possible to keep the human being from becoming a complete functionary, or “worker”?.
- It is not enough merely to create the external conditions for leisure.
- A true de-proletarianization would consist in making available for the working person a meaningful kind of activity that is not work.
- Culture lives on “worship”.
Leisure, The Basis of Culture
2012 (original 1904)